Matt Birk's HIKE Foundation has two signature programs:
Matt Birk's HIKE Foundation launched "Ready, Set, Read!" in select Baltimore area public schools in the fall of 2010. The goal of "Ready, Set, Read!" is to motivate and encourage more than 150,000 elementary school children to read at home by the fall of 2012.
- Matt serves as the "Reading Spokesman" for all City Schools' elementary and middle schools. Matt will hammer home the importance of reading through a series of audio/video PSA's, motivational-style posters and social media outlets that encourage students to read.
- "Ready, Set, Read!" offers incentives to students who really work hard to read. Students can receive all kinds of prizes, just for reading. They can win everything from gift cards, to T-shirts, to autographed pictures of Matt, to Ravens' jerseys, Ravens tickets and great prizes. The Grand Prize is for students to join Matt at M&T Bank Stadium for a Behind the Scenes Tour.
Partnered with Scholastic, "Read and Rise" is the HIKE Foundation's literacy initiative designed to bring families, schools and communities together to support children's literacy development. "Read and Rise" works to:
- Help families foster the skills, attitudes, and behaviors that support children's literacy development.
- Help schools engage families through fun, literacy-based events.
- Better prepare children for reading and learning.
- Support schools with their family engagement goals.
Through the collective efforts of Clear Channel and the HIKE Foundation, we will provide over 30,000 books to more than 10,000 at-risk, Title I children; giving them the ability to connect with books they want to read.
Click here to view more about the Read and Rise program.